Info

My photo

U.S. Army combat veteran. OIF 06-08. Forward Observer. Purple Heart recipient. Husband. Father. Gamer. Writer. YouTuber.

Friday, March 1, 2013

"Big boy indies" support Ouya only because they're paid to, claims Tiswaz Entertainment CEO Kevin Dent


Note: I submitted this article to GamesBeat, but changed the tone a little bit. You can view it here.
DentPic
According to his LinkedIn profile, Kevin Dent is the CEO of Tiswaz Entertainment, COO of P4RC, Inc. and Chairperson for IGDA Mobile SIG. Never heard of any of these things? Neither have I. But it's okay - his About.me page lists him as a "Video Game Executive" and "a 14 year veteran from the digital video games space". He is also the Business Development Partner and Strategist for Rekoil, a run-of-the-mill, bare-bones military FPS currently in beta. Kevin was interviewed by Polygon on August 29th, 2012, in regards to getting Rekoil on Steam Greenlight. It's been 6 months since the article was written and the game appears to be as close to Steam Greenlight now as it was then.
With these illustrious credentials, one would think that this man would be capable of defending his opinions eloquently and with a measure of maturity. Enter Kevin Dent's Twitter feed.

Dent1
I asked him to put it in writing (i.e. stake the professional reputation of himself and his sources on it by providing proof of these claims) but he ignored my request. Kevin unsurprisingly doesn't define who the "big boy indies" are. And he's not done!

Dent2
It is clear that Kevin Dent has no faith in the Ouya. It is also clear that Kevin Dent is full of fun pseudo-facts that no one knows but him. Perhaps Ouya did ask if Rekoil would be interested in porting to the Android-based console due for retail release this June but there's no way to know how that conversation went or if it even took place. In fact, there's no way to verify any of what this "video game executive" is saying. So why does he bother tweeting it? I wonder what happens if you dare to question his opinions...

Dent3
Oh, I see. The "big boy indies" that he talks to all post on "closed industry forums with the thread topics called 'wow the Ouya is a terrible business proposition'". Every single one of them! Not just a couple, but ALL of them! Wow! It's like a secret society for the elite that no one has ever heard of and likely doesn't even exist. Some real video game Illuminati stuff going on here, folks.

Dent4
Actually, Kevin, I am a combat veteran, a husband and a father. Those are my life accomplishments. Nothing fancy, like being a "video game executive". Sure, I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember - literally, my earliest memory is playing Super Street Fighter II when I was 4 or 5 years old - but I am a mere consumer.

However, I am an informed, unbiased consumer. If my opinion is shaped by something, I share that something with others. What I don't do is attempt to personally attack those who respectfully raise legitimate thoughts on a subject that conflict with my own and I most definitely do not play the "I'm a member of a cool kids club and I can't talk about it!" card.

By the very definition of his various job titles, Kevin Dent is a professional. He's connected. Kind of. Supposedly. Whatever.

I am just not buying what he's selling. Apparently, neither is anyone else.

Dent8
I found this character by searching "Ouya" on Twitter to see who was talking about it. Perhaps there was some new information I wasn't aware of. Sometimes I search for "Final Fantasy VII" or "Legend of Legaia" or any number of cool things to see what people may have tweeted about them recently. It's fun and you can contact people who share similar interests that way. It's called networking.

The bottom line is that this "video game executive" claims THE reason for "big boy indies" supporting the Ouya is because they're being paid off. This is an accusation that could use some clearing up. I have reached out to Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman via Twitter in an attempt to ascertain the truth. I imagine she is rather busy so who knows if she'll even see the tweet. I am not a member of the press. I don't have a list of credentials that may or may not be of any importance to anyone but myself.

I'm just a gamer who believes that people, including pompous "video game executives", should be held accountable for what they say. Especially when they're throwing around allegations of shady behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment