Info

My photo

U.S. Army combat veteran. OIF 06-08. Forward Observer. Purple Heart recipient. Husband. Father. Gamer. Writer. YouTuber.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Man dies saving son in a snowmobile accident

I woke up this morning to find a tweet from the Bangor Daily News with a link to a story that deserves national recognition. If you click the link, you will be taken to it.

Keith Ryan Jr. had his 9 year old son Aden Ryan sitting in front of him on a snowmobile when apparently the "throttle stuck and it just took off".

Just before the vehicle went airborne and crashed into a brook, Keith Ryan Jr. grabbed his son and threw him from the snowmobile. In doing so, he saved his son's life. Both were wearing helmets.

I never met Keith. I don't know who he is or what he does other than what I read in the article. But I do know that his actions deserve to be recognized. Not by exploiting a grieving son and family for ratings, but by bringing attention to the fact that, as sad as this is, there are still good people and more specifically good parents in the world.

It raises a few questions, but one I will address is "why snowmobile?" Personally, I don't bother. I've lived in Maine most of my life and can't stand snow and ice and all this winter nonsense. But a lot of people do enjoy it and if you die doing what you enjoy, who is anyone else to question it? He was doing a perfectly normal recreational activity with his children and tragedy struck. It happens. It's terribly unfortunate, but things happen.

The news is full of bad people doing bad things. Could we change the tune for a moment? This is a story the nation needs to be aware of.

I greatly commend Keith Ryan Jr.'s actions as a man and as a father. My condolences to the Ryan family.

No comments:

Post a Comment